10 Common Pool Removal Mistakes
Most pool removal mistakes are because you hired the wrong contractor.
We often get frustrated calls from homeowners and contractors to fix pool removal mistakes. Sometimes we get called while the pool removal is still in progress and they have concerns. We generated this list of common pool removal mistakes to help inform people about pool removal pitfalls.
The value of performance and client experience is often overlooked.
Having a swimming pool in disrepair can be stressful and frustrating. You’ve made the decision to remove your pool and the contractor shows up unannounced with a big machine and surprises you. Now you are genuinely concerned and wondering what you signed up for. Here is what you need to think about before you sign that low bid, what the experience will be like and the results in the end.
10 COMMON POOL REMOVAL MISTAKES
- Be aware of referral/marketing services that are not referring the best contractors for the job. The lowest bid is most likely not the best bid and you can’t always trust online reviews.
- Is the pool being demolished to meet or exceed local pool removal code? How would you like it if you bought a house where the contractor cut corners with the pool removal?
- Are you hiring the right company that is qualified to set grades/slope of the land for proper drainage (landscape architects, engineers, and land surveyors) and has the precision equipment to get it done right?
- Be aware of companies that say all they do is remove swimming pools, making it seem like they are an expert because it is all they do. These contractors may give you the low price you want but they are not concerned about restoration, the impact to your property and client experience through the process.
- The quality of restoration, grading, seed or sod and providing fertile topsoil at proper depth, is what makes it look like the pool was never there. The easy part is wrecking the pool, the real work is putting the place back together and making it look like there never was a pool.
- The contract does not clearly specify how the job will get done. A lot of contractors do not like putting down plywood/ground protection. Make sure you clearly understand local codes. Is the concrete is staying or is it being removed? Are they bringing in properly licensed contractors to disconnect the utilities?
- Some contractors try to save time using oversized equipment causing unnecessary impact your property and roads.
- Not being aware of the surroundings, trees roots, utilities, property lines, and taking the wrong access path.
- Attempting to move forward with a pool removal when the ground is too saturated with water or substantial rain is on its way. This causes increased trauma to the yard and the road with heavy trucks, it is harder to clean up the jobsite, and not possible achieve proper compaction.
- Homeowners attempting it themselves. Most of the time they underestimate how much work they will be doing and time it will take and give up before they are halfway done. Also, they run the risk of doing costly damage to rental equipment and possibly injuring themselves.
MackLand Landscape Architects & Contractors is a swimming pool specialist. We design and install pools and we are America’s leading expert on swimming pool removals. Our local markets are Illinois, southern Wisconsin, and Colorado. If you are outside those markets, give us a call we are still happy to help.
Are you on the fence about removing your pool? Give us a call and we can consult you on your options: repairing your pool, removing your pool, or installing a new one. We guarantee client satisfaction and make sure the job is done right the first time. We also make sure the client has a good experience from beginning to end.
Greenwood Village Pool Removal
In this Greenwood Village Pool Removal the customer had an unusual request.He wanted the concrete po…
Centennial Pool Removal
In this Centennial Pool Removal we were approached by a realtor who introduced us to the client. Thi…
Boulder Colorado Pool Removal
With this Boulder Colorado Pool Removal project a repeating theme occurred. The customer made the de…